The just concluded retreat for the 2020 annual/Midyear Budget Performance Review by the Enugu State Ministry of Budget and Planning, from the 25th to 27th August 2021, at the Nike Lake resort have come and gone but the remarkable achievements of budget instruments have glaringly portrayed the administration of Gov. Ugwuanyi as a compendium of wonderful team players.
The budget cycle assessment has carefully explained the implementation processes against the budget projections, the micro and macro economic indicators upon which the projections were hinged.
According to His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Dr. Lawrence Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, the Executive Governor of Enugu State ably represented by the Deputy Governor, Lolo Cecilia Ezeilo, “Enugu State Government has remained committed to the open government partnership and fulfilment of it’s obligations to the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2007.”
“Enugu State is equally a participant in the World Bank Assisted State Fiscal Transparency, Accountability and Sustainability (SFTAS) Performance for result programme for Nigeria, aimed at strengthening Fiscal Transparency, Accountability and Sustainability in each of the participating States.”
The Deputy Governor informed the audience which comprises of Traditional Rulers, Civil Society Organizations, Town Union President Generals, Youth and Women groups, State Exco Members, and Permanent Secretaries, etc. That “the Governor has recently given approval for the whole process of implementing the budget result area on the production of Citizens Accountability Report (CAR) in collaboration with civil society organizations should go on.”
He further directed the organizers of the retreat to particularly aim at reviewing the budget performance with the view to apply the inherent lessons for the sole purpose of achieving excellent performance in the remaining months of the life of the budget.
According to Sir. Remy Odo, the Enugu State Accountant General – the percentage performance of the 2020 Budget stood at 77.6%, whereas the total revenue of the State is One Hundred and One Billion, Nine Hundred and Ninety Eight Million, Four Hundred and Ninety Eight Thousand , Four Hundred and Seventy Seven Naira , Thirty Four Kobo (101,998,498,477.34) in the same year which represented 87.84% of 116.12 billion naira of the amended revenue budget.
The implementation of the 2021 Midyear Budget saw the sum of N41,158,135,563.90 representing 53.16% of 77.42 bn that was generated by the State.
On the Expenditure side, out of the N84.92 bn for the period under review (January to June 2021), the State released expenditure warrants (cash backed) worth N40.36 bn representing 47.52% as revealed by the Accountant General.
The host of the retreat and commissioner for Budget and Planning, Hon. Dr. David O. Ugwunta stated that the review which is heralding the beginning of the 2022 budget is important because the outcome will assist to guide the preparation of the 2022-2024 Medium Term Budget, providing the Government the opportunity to consult relevant stakeholders and be able to gather inputs into the 2022-2024 Medium Term Expenditure Forecast.
THE BUDGET PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS, FACTS WITH FIGURES:
The commissioner for Budget and Planning narrated that in the year 2020, over three hundred and fourty (340) capital projects were either completed or started across the three Senatorial Zones of the State, which stood at N45,177,307,490.57 representing 58.99% of the 2020 revised capital size of N76,584,641,080 budget.
Key Highlights Of The Achievements Of The 2020 Budget Is As Follows:
Payment of the thirty thousand naira minimum wage to Enugu State Government workers.
The State through the Enugu State Independent Electoral Commission (ENSIEC) successfully conducted LGA elections on 28th February 2020. The new Council administration was subsequently inaugurated on 2nd March 2020.
Development of new ESUT Teaching Hospital Complex, Igbo-Eno. Commencement of the construction of 2 nos 10-classroom Faculty buildings; 2 nos 8-classroom Faculty buildings for the ESUT College of Medicine as well as Industrial Water Borehole projects.
Equipped the reconstructed Agbani and Udi General hospitals while the renovation of Awgu General hospital, Umulokpa and Itchi Cottage hospitals have been completed as well as the reconstruction of Enugu Ezike General hospital.
Renovation and Equipping of Isolation and Treatment Centres in Nsukka, ESUT Teaching Hospital Parklane Enugu as well as Equipping the Ultra-Modern Enugu State Medical and Diagnostic Centre which was re-purposed as an isolation and treatment centre for COVID-19.
Designation of Former Colliery Hospital Enugu as Enugu State Infectious Disease Hospital Followed by its Redesigning, Reconstruction, Construction and Equipping with new structures in the complex. Fully completed and on the verge of commencement of service delivery.
Commenced construction of Amenity building at the General Hospital at Ogrute, Enugu Ezike, in Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area which is also undergoing renovation.
Seven (7) new Model Type III Primary Healthcare Facilities in Nkanu East, Igbo-Etiti, Igboeze South, Isi-Uzo, Udenu, Ezeagu and Uzo-uwani LGAs at various stages of commencement of service delivery.
Upgrading of Nsukka, Ibagwa-Ani and Amandim-Olo Health Centres to Model Type III Primary Healthcare facility standard which will comprise of hospital block(s), separate residences for doctors and nurses.
Introduced and sustained payment of allowances and provision of protective materials for over 200 medical and non-medical frontline workers.
Sustained payment for 50 room quarantine facility, provision of medical consumables and drugs at the isolation centres as well as provision of ambulance and incident vehicles for emergency operations.
Massive and periodic decontamination of public places including hospitals, schools, Government Offices and markets across the State through Enugu State Fire Service.
Rehabilitation of facilities and provision of essential supplies in 34 health facilities across the 17 LGAs, to scale up delivery of linked services and preparedness against community spread of COVID-19 infection by the Enugu State Save One Million Lives (SOML) Programme.
Provision of Life Assurance policy for frontline health workers and granting of tax relief to the vulnerable in the state to cushion the adverse economic effect of the COVID-19 pandemic.
External works/landscaping of the premises of General Hospital Nsukka, Ede-Oballa and the construction of borehole with a 10,000-litre capacity overhead tank, as well as rehabilitation of an existing 10,000-liter capacity overhead tank for reticulation of water to all existing structures in the health facility.
Recapitalized the Drug Revolving Scheme (DRF) to ensure well-regulated drug pricing, availability and access to essential drugs.
Furnishing of Nsukka General Hospital.
Rehabilitation and equipping Government Hospital at Uzo-Uwani.
Construction/rehabilitation of roads, reconstruction of Gate House, Fence to Gate House: Supply and Installation of single arm smart Integrated Solar Powered Street Light with 34 Poles and Extension of Electricity and Supply of 1 No. 60KVA Generator at General Hospital and School of Midwifery, Awgu LGA, Enugu State.
Supplied Philips CT Scanner (Brilliance – 64) at ESUT Teaching Hospital Parklane, Enugu.
Implementation of the Integrated Medical Outreach Programme to strengthen the Routine Immunization and Primary Healthcare and National Immunization Plus Days (NIPDs) activates in Enugu State.
Construction of Cottage Hospital with Isolation Wing in General Hospitals in Igbo-Eze North, Oji-River, Udenu and Awgu LGAs.
Repositioning of State Health System to access the Basic Health Care Provision Fund through the State Universal Health Coverage Agency, State Primary Health Care Development Agency and State Emergency Health Services. The State Office of the Universal Health Coverage Agency has been fully renovated and equipped, while training of staff and enrolment of beneficiaries have commenced.
Concrete Asphalting of 49klm of selected RAMP phase 1 roads fully completed. It is on record that Enugu State under Governor Ugwuanyi is the only State out of Four (4) RAMP participating States in the whole federation that have Asphalted any part of their RAMP roads.
Construction of the outstanding 6klm of the virgin 13klm Nike Lake Junction-Harmony Estate-Amorji Nike-Adoration Pilgrimage centre roads were also completed with side drainages, five (5) River crossings and Bridges. It was conceived as the first bypass to ease the traffic flow in Enugu East Senatorial District including the interstate vehicular movements. The bypass is already opening up development at the Harmony Estate and provides access to the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, while stimulating the local economy.
Constructed the Internal Access Roads, Water Bore holes and Solar Powered Lighting at the Awgu General Hospital and School of Midwifery.
Construction of the 14-Bay Bailey Bridge (a project implemented by 82 Division of the Nigerian Army Engineers) across Nyama River linking Umuogo and Umuagba Amechi Uno/Obeagu communities in Enugu South Local Government Area.
Completed the construction of the followings: Amaeze Street/Fide Okoro Road – New Anglican Road; Onuiyi Link Road, Failed Culvert and Erosion Control Works at Onuiyi Road; Justina Eze Street – Attama Nwamba Road; Obechara Junction – Bishop Shanahan – (Enugu Road); Onuiyi Junction – Amobi Street – MCC Road Junction; Onuiyi Beach – Umeano – Ibagwa Road; Echara Road – Obechara Junction; Extension of St. Mary’s Ezi Ukehe – Afia Four – Umurusi – Major General Ezugwu House; Enugu Eke – Ogui Uno – Oma Eke (Phase II); Agbalaenyi Junction – Enugu – Onitsha Expressway Link Road; Aji – Umuogbo Agu Road; Amutenyi Obollo Afor – Umuenachi Amalla; Orie Market – Nkwo Ida – Umuaji – Afor Inyere road.
Procurement and installation of 500KVA Transformer, HT Lines, Substation with accessories and rehabilitation of route at ESBS New Transmitting Station, Okpatu.
Replacement, Upgrading and Provision of one additional transformer to Imilike-Enu Community.
Replacement upgrading of Transformer at Ndi Uno Akpuoga Nike Community, Enugu East LGA.
Extension of electricity to Igboano Specialist Hospital, Udenu and Igboeze South Local Government Areas, Enugu State.
Purchase and installation of 300KVA Transformers in Ekenene Village, Udi Town Ancient Kingdom Udi LGA.
Desilting and Machine Brushing of Artificial Grass Pitch of Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Enugu for commencement of Nigeria Professional League Football (NPLF) 2020/2021 Season.
Procurement and installation of solar powered modern traffic light control system at eleven (11) major road junctions in Nsukka Urban.
Renovation and upgrading of Nike Lake Resort in consonance with modern trends to consolidate it’s leading role as a Tourist and relaxation centre of repute.
Development of the UNITY PARK ENUGU (Conservation Park) at the prime Forest Reserve located at the East of the Michael Okpara Square within the three Arms Zone. Well illuminated with over 400 lights of both solar, generator and national grid energy sources. This project features an all-season artificial water pond and a roaring lion sculpture of about 72feet long, 42 feet high and 24 feet wide.
Law, Order, Justice and Peace
Commencement of the construction of an office building covering 3500 square meters floor area within Enugu State House of Assembly Complex located in the Three Arms Zone, independence layout, Enugu North Local Government Area, Enugu State containing as follows: One (1) Entrance Foyer, One (1) Entrance Lobby, One (1) Reception Area, One (1) Security Area, Twenty-nine (29) offices for Members and their support staff, Two (2) functional Court Yards, An interactive Speaker’s Chamber, housing a conference room and other ancillary facilities, Engaging and tropicalized facades, Adequate outdoor space.
Extensive renovation of the Enugu State Judiciary Headquarters Complex and completion of thirty four (34) Customary Court buildings across the 17 local government areas of Enugu State.
Construction of MOPOL 76 police mobile force squadron Facility, for the Nigeria Police along Ugwuogo Nike/Opi Nsukka road by Ekwegbe in Igbo-Etiti local government area, already at an advanced stage.
A befitting office complex for the newly created Force CID Annex for the South East geo-political zone located at the Command’s Detective College, Enugu, has been renovated, furnished and in use.
The Police Area Command Headquarters, Orba has been completed.
Kept faith with our Forest Guard Security outfit and Neighbourhood Watch Groups with regular payment of salaries and supply of necessary equipment.
Instituted the Enugu State Security Trust Fund to provide adequate resources for maintenance of security of lives and property of the residents in Enugu State. All these are in a bid to boost the security of lives and property in our State.
Renovation/refurbishing work at Oji Correctional Centre, Oji River Local Government Area, Enugu State.
Purchase of ICT equipment required for the take-off of the virtual hearing of Pilot Courts in five (5) Pilot High Courts and ten (10) Magistrate Courts.
As a State that believes in the awesomeness of God, the first Christian Chapel of Worship at the Government House Enugu, is on the verge of completion.
Farm inputs (rice seeds, farro 44 long grain, improved cassava Stems Tm 419, fertilizer and pesticides) were distributed to 2000 farmers across the 17 local government areas of the state to boost dry season farming.
State Government use of Agriculture through the instrumentality of the Enugu State Agro- processing, productivity Enhancement and Livelihood Improvement Support (APPEALS GRANT) project to Empower and improve the livelihood of over 1685 Youths and women of Enugu State including the physically challenged.
Subscribed and paid counterpart contribution for the FGN/IFAD (International Fund for Agricultural Development) Value Chain Development Project (VCPD) for the year 2019/2020.
Domesticate our rice production, develop the rice value chain and increase the State’s Internally Generated Revenue while providing jobs, we created the Enugu rice brand (Coal City Rice).
Significant efforts have been put in place in mapping out thousands of hectares of arable lands for agricultural purposes and development of frameworks that will support private sector investment.
Purchase of thirty (30) units of “Carousel SLQS-50” Rice Destoning Machines.
Produce Enugu Rice Brand Programme.
Commencement of the establishment of Efi Igbo Cattle Centre (Ranch).
Enugu State Agriculture Intervention for COVID-19 Action Recovery and Economic Stimulus which includes: Production of Rice Seeds, Production of Cassava Stem, Production of Fertilizer and Herbicides.
Support to Enugu Airport
The Akanu Ibiam International Airport which was shut down on August 24th, 2019 due to urgent safety and infrastructural concerns was opened on 30th August 2020. The State Government in addressing some of the urgent safety needs of the airport completed the removal of all encroachment on the airport facility, removed and relocated the 120-meter tall Enugu State Broadcasting Service TV/Radio Mast and Transmission Station and constructed a new ESBS Transmission Station at Okpatu, Udi LGA; relocated the Orie Emene market and commenced the construction a 1.3km asphalt road to the Very High Frequency Omni Directional Radio Range/Distance Measuring Equipment (VOR/DME) navigation facility at Emene.
Enugu State Government also provided finance for the upgrade and refurbishment of existing toilet facility in the Airport’s Terminal Building, amongst others. The repositioned airport has therefore attracted more Airlines and will hopefully attract cargo operations to give the South East Nigeria a window to the world and boost economic activities in the entire Zone.
Enugu State Government signed a fifty million dollars ($50,000 000) Subsidiary Loan Agreement (SLA) with the Federal Ministry of Finance in respect of AFD- funded 3rd National Urban Water Sector Reform Project (3rd NUWSRP) in December 2018. This project is planned to develop the water supply infrastructure in the capital city (Enugu) in order to supply more households and improve the water supply service delivery to the people of Enugu as well as improve the financial viability and performance of the Enugu State water corporation. The project has 5-year life span (2018 – 2023) and the deliverables include the following: Rehabilitation of Ajali and Oji River Waterworks. And installation of a dedicated power line for Ajali; Upgrading of the water transmission system by installation of a second pipeline (12.8km long and 700mm diameter); Replacement of about 240km of asbestos cement pipelines; Expansion of the secondary network of 60km; Replacement of 16,000 existing connections with new piping and metering; To supply about 40,000 new domestic connections; Equipping of central maintenance workshop to provide Enugu State Water Corporation with the resources for sustainability of the operation of the water system; Technical Assistance to the Enugu Stater Water Corporation to improve Revenue, operation, maintenance, financial management and cost control. Project timelines: 2018 – preparatory activities; 2019 – mid 2022 – implementation of the works. Project Implementation Status: Subsidiary Loan Agreement (SLA) signed in 2018; All conditions precedent for the 1st draw down fulfilled; Enugu State Government has paid marching counterpart fund of N151million naira for 2020 fiscal year; First draw down request of three million Euros granted by French Development Agency (AFD) to finance some project activities whose procurement processes have been completed. These projects include: Project Management Support Consultancy contract whose agreement was signed on 4th March 2020; Geographic Information System (GIS) consultancy contract was ready for signing; Financial Model and new tariff structure have been concluded; Procurement of detailed Engineering Design of the proposed digital Enugu State Water Supply Infrastructure, Organisational Technical Assistance (OTA), and Institutional Technical Assistance to Enugu State Water Corporation are at various stages in the process for AFD Final No. Objection. By 2022 – 2023 a complete Water Supply Infrastructure with metering and sustainable water supply in the State for a population of about one million people will be in place. From 2025, revenue improvement with full operation and maintenance cost will be recovered and Enugu State Water Corporation will start experiencing revenue reliability and return on investment (ROI) will also start.
Enugu State Government has keyed into the Partnership for Expanded Water Sanitation and Hygiene (PEWASH), a world Bank supported project to reduce the problem of water scarcity in the rural areas and consequently combat water born diseases. Besides direct investments, through the passage of Enugu State Water Sector Law as well as development of other policy documents, all the necessary framework to attract private sector investment and donor support in improving Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene in Enugu State have been provided.
Several Motorized Solar powered and direct current water Boreholes have been completed and put to use across the State as concerted effort to provide portable water for residents. These include: two in Eke Ozzi Markket in Igboeze LGA; Ezinese Community Square in Agbaja Umumba, Ezeagu LGA; Nkwo Ibeagwa Aka Market, Igbo-Eze South LGA; Orie Orba Market, Udenu LGA; Ogige Market Nsukka, Nsukka LGA; Nsukka High Court and Magistrate Court.
Construction of Water Borehole at Udi General Hospital, Udi LGA.
Repair and relocate damaged 150mm UPVC Pipeline along Alor Streer, Thinkers Corner, Enugu East Local Government Area, Enugu State.
Repair of 3 nos. Booster Pumps and Servicing of 2.5MVA Power Transformers at Oji Augmentation Water Scheme and Pipeline Extension to COVID-19 Isolation Centre at Nsukka Urban.
Rehabilitation of some water supply facilities at Ajalli Water Scheme in view of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Procurement and installation of 250KVA Perkins Generator at Ede-Oballa Booster Station, Nsukka Urban.
Refurbishment of faulty Induction Electric Motors at Oji Augmentation Water Scheme.
Repair of 100mm Diameter Water Pipeline at Amaeze, Nsukka.
Provision of Water Supply Facilities to Nsukka General Hospital, Enugu State.
Provision of three Solar Powered Boreholes at Community Secondary School, Isienu, Model Secondary Schools, Nsukka and Urban Girls Secondary School Nsukka.
Repair of some water facilities at Nsukka Urban Water Scheme.
Rehabilitation of borehole No. 11 at Nsukka Urban Water Scheme.
Supply and installation of Solar Powered Boreholes for five (5) nos New Fire Service Stations at Oji River, 9th Mile, 4 Corner, Orba and Ogrute in Enugu State.
Supply and installation of Solar Powered Borehole at Oji River, 9th Mile, 4 Corners, Orba and Ogrute Fire Service Stations in Enugu State.
Construction of third batch of sixteen (16 No.) JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) Boreholes in Enugu East Senatorial District.
Construction of motorized borehole fully equipped at Ette Centre, Igbo-Eze North LGA, Enugu.
Construction of 2 No Borehole with 2 No Overhead Tanks and Reticulations at General Hospital and School of Midwifery Awgu, Awgu Local Government Area, Enugu.
Construction of the last batch of Ten (10) Nos JICA Boreholes in Enugu West Senatorial Zone.
Drilling of three (3) units shallow borehole at 100ft with 9.58m with three (3) units solar pumps at Vocational/Rehabilitation Center, Emene.
Construction of 2 nos Borehole with 2 nos Overhead Tanks and Reticulations at General Hospital and School of Midwifery Awgu, Awgu Local Government Area, Enugu.
Science & Technology
Deepening youth creativity and innovation in technology through the construction and equipping of 2 (two) new Tech Hubs / Youth Innovation Centres in Enugu and Obollo Afor which are on the verge of completion.
In partnership with the Bank of Industry, Central Bank of Nigeria, VFD Micro-Finance Bank, Nigeria Incentive-Based Risk Sharing System for Agricultural Lending (NIRSAL), other Development Finance Agencies, direct State Government initiatives, loan programs providing access to over N3,000,000,000.00 (Three Billion Naira) were created to meet the funding requirements of Micro Enterprises, Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in the State.
The Enugu SME Centre, in partnership with the Federal Government has provided over six thousand (6,000) Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in the State with Free Business Registration with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) under the Survival Fund Programme in the year 2020.
Enugu SME centre has facilitated the payment of Fifty Thousand Naira (N50,000) only, for three (3) months for over thirteen thousand (13,000) employees of registered SMEs in the State.
The Enugu SME Centre has partnered with Jobberman Nigeria to act as outsourcing partner and has built the Enugu Jobs Portal where state residents can sign up and receive employability and technical training.
Enugu SME Centre has created under the Enugu SME Human Capital Development zero interest Loan Program the followings: Enugu Youth Employment Scheme (e-YES) – A programme designed to train thousands of Enugu youths on digital marketing and high-income skills to enable them to thrive in today’s digital-first world, become innovative entrepreneurs and strategic valuable assets to Enugu State and the international community at large; Enugu Auto Revamp Innovation Job Scheme – training over one thousand Enugu youths in auto body-work capacities in partnership with Autoease ltd; Enugu Talent City – Enugu Tech – A partnership with Utiva to incubate 5,000 young talents in programming, product design and animation as well as data analytics for the global technology market; Enugu Wifi Program – a job creation scheme for Enugu youths to earn income through internet data re-selling; The Enugu SME Hackathon Series: A quarterly hackathon series that focuses on solutions to address the changes in our ways of life and businesses as a result of Covid-19. Enugu Skills Acquisition Masterclass (ESAM)- ESAM is a monthly series undertaken by the agency to help empower business owners, job seekers and entrepreneurs with the requisite skills needed to run their business more efficiently or empower themselves to seek other revenue generating opportunities. We have both online and offline series. Since this programme was commenced in January 2020, over fifteen thousand (15,000) participants have benefited; Up-Skill Her Initiative: The Initiative is a digital skills training for women aged 20-35 in Web Design, Digital Marketing and Graphics Design, since its inception, over two thousand (2,000) budding entrepreneurs, underemployed and unemployed women have gained digital skills in marketing, web design and graphics design. This program has created new job and wealth opportunities for these women.
Provision of ICT Centre and Basic Technology Hall for the take-off of the Command Secondary School, Orba.
Procurement various workshop equipment for Science, Technical and vocational colleges, renovated two (2) Science, Technical and Vocational multi-purpose Workshops and constructed perimeter fence in three (3) Science, Technical and Vocational Colleges in the State
The Enugu State SME centre, in Partnership with the Federal Government has provided over six thousand (6,000) micro, small and medium enterprises in the State with Free Business registrations with the corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) under the survival fund programme in the year 2020.
Implementation of Enugu Studentpreneur Development Loan Programme.
Constructed, reconstructed and renovated 339 classrooms and toilets, providing 1,595 fully equipped classrooms, provided 33,621 lockers, desks and chairs for pupils and teachers. Distribution of 54,545 books and instructional materials to all primary and secondary schools in Enugu State.
Massive construction and reconstruction of classroom buildings, offices and Hostels in Secondary schools of Enugu State including the reconstruction of 122 classroom blocks across the six Education zones in Enugu State and construction of 1,400 bed capacity Hostels at Girls secondary school, Owerreze-Orba in Udenu local government area, Enugu State. Four (4) Solar powered Boreholes were also constructed in some secondary schools in the State.
Upgrade of Boys High School Orba and Youth Centre Mpu to Command Science and Technical Secondary Schools as while as upgrade Girls High School, Owerreze-Orba to a Model Boarding School.
Renovation of two (2) nos. classroom buildings at Community Secondary School, Edem, Nsukka Local Government.
Renovation of one (1) Storey Building (8 Classroom Blocks) used by Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
Provision of additional infrastructures at Command Secondary Schools Orba and Mpu.
Reconstruction of Highly Dilapidated Classroom Blocks, Offices and Exam Hall at Community Secondary School, Ezimo, Udenu Local Government Area, Enugu State.
Construction of Perimeter Fence, Security House, Gate, Toilets and Maintenance of Existing Bore Hole at Community Secondary School, Ezimo, Udenu Local Government Area, Enugu State.
Fencing of Schools Dormitories (Technical College Obollo-Afor, Udenu LGA Technical College Udi, Udi LGA and Special Science Schools, Girls Agbani/Ugboka, Nkanu East, LGA.
At the tertiary education level, there were provision of laboratory equipment, office blocks, hostel facilities, classroom blocks, boreholes, toilet facilities for the State-owned tertiary institutions. These efforts enabled the Enugu State College of Education Technical (ESCET) and Institute of Management and Technology (IMT), Enugu to gain full accreditation in some of their programmes after about 9 and 11 years of denials respectively.
701 (Seven Hundred and One) deserving indigenes of Enugu State, majorly at the tertiary education level, were awarded Scholarship in 2020. Out of this number, 23 (Twenty-Three) students are undergoing tertiary education at University of Mewar, India and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA.
Quite honestly, from the foregoing. This is a pass mark for the Budget and Planning ministry of Enugu State Government, in view of the viral negative effects of current global economic challenges pervading the country. This is because according to the projected expectations, the Enugu State Government 2020 budget year excelled in it’s revenue and expenditure targets.
According to Dr Ugwunta, “the recurrent and capital receipts (revenue) stood at 88.64% which is 11.36% less than the 100% revenue performance; whereas expenditure, both recurrent and capital recorded 77.06 which is 22.94% less than 100% of the said budget implementation and 8% less than the 85% budget implementation target in the 2020 fiscal objective.”
In the similar vein, by the Midyear of 2021, Dr Ugwunta stated that about 126 capital projects are on-going across the State and that the figures is expected to rise in a tremendous manner before the end of the budget cycle.
The on-going projects as enumerated by the Honourable Commissioner include but not limited to the following:
(1) Construction of flyover bridge and underpass at T-junction Nike Lake Road/Abakpa, Enugu East Local Government Area. Enugu State.
(2) Construction of pilot Water well at The UNITY PARK, Enugu.
(3) Construction of internal and access road networks at Golf Estate Annex Ngwuagu Amaezike, Abor UDI LGA Enugu State.
(4) Road maintenance and repair of potholes in Enugu metropolis.
(5) Construction of Ogodo-Okpu Orba road, Udenu local government area. Enugu state.
(6) Additional Works at Zonal secretariat, Nsukka satellite Town (phase 1- Block A), Nsukka local government area, Enugu State. Procurement of two (2) 20,000 capacity surface Tanks, Dispensing pumps and installation for the secretariat annex, Nsukka. These are to enable operationalization and occupation of the new secretariat.
(7) Construction of Three (3) floors Students Hostel Buildings at the Enugu State College of Education (Technical), Enugu North Local Government area, Enugu State.
(8) Installation of single arm Solar powered Street lights at the High and Magistrate Courts Nsukka, Enugu State Infectious Disease Hospital, Enugu and the Access road to the Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital, Igbo-Eno
(9) Construction of staff clinic and transit camp for the Department of State service, Enugu State command.
(10) Construction and installation of industrial Borehole at Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital, Igbo-Eno Campus.
(11) Rehabilitation/Construction of Nkeore Close, Independence layout, Enugu.
(12) Construction of Nsukka Conference center, Nsukka local Government area, Enugu state.
(13) Construction of access road into new Enugu (phase 1)
(14) Construction of Ama Akpaka-leeke -Obinagu- Ogbodu- Ohwashi road with spur to Ama Akpaka, Orba Udenu local government area. Enugu State
(15) Construction of Ogodo-Okpu Orba road, Udenu local Government Area, Enugu State.
(16) Construction of Enugu State Multi-Door Court House Building at the Ministry of Justice premises Independence layout, Enugu North local government area, Enugu State.
(17) Rebuilding of the burnt mosques, primary school Block within the mosque premises and perimeter fence at the premises in Nsukka local Government Area, Enugu State.
(18) Construction of 1 nos 8-classroom Building for the Faculty of Social Science and Humanities, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital, Igbo-Eno campus, Enugu State.
(19) Equipping of Dormitory, Refectory and provision of sporting facilities and installation of Solar lights at Girls Secondary school, Owereze-Ezeora, Udenu. Enugu State.
(20) Construction of 1.125km access road to Nigeria Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) VOR/DME at Emene, Enugu East local government area, Enugu State
(21) Construction of 1 nos 8 Classroom Building for the Faculty of Applied Natural Sciences, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital igbo-Eno campus Enugu State
(22) Construction of 1 nos 10 Classroom Building for the Faculty of Dentistry, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital Igbo-Eno Campus Enugu State
(23) Construction of 1 nos 120 Bedroom Hostels at Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital Igbo- Eno campus Enugu State.
(24) Construction of 1 nos 10 Classroom Building for the Faculty of Health Sciences, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital, Igbo-Eno Campus.
(25) Construction of 1 No 12 Classroom Building for the Faculty of Medical Sciences, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital, Igbo-Eno Campus Enugu State.
(26) Construction of 1 nos 12 Classroom Building for the College of Medicine, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital, Igbo-Eno Campus Enugu State.
(27) Renovation of one Bungalow building within the premises of State Forestry Commission for the skill acquisition programme of the ministry of labour and productivity.
(28) Construction of Umuokere-Igugu Agu Mgbugbo-Ugbene Umundu road phase 1, Udenu local government area, Enugu State.
(29) Construction of Amokwe road, starting from Udi Station, through Ibuzo Amokwe to Amokwe Station road (phase III) Udi Local Government Area, Enugu State.
(30) Rehabilitation/ Construction of Ekulumili street,New Haven, Enugu North local Government Area, Enugu State.
(31) Construction of Aruotoma Ortuanya road, Ohodo Igbo-Etiti local government area Enugu State.
(32) Installation of Sixty (60) nos Solar street lights at Aruotoma Ortuanya road, Ohodo Igbo-Etiti local Government Area, Enugu State.
(33) Construction of Amufia road (including local government roundabout) Japan road- Umuida road (up to the Umuida Junction) Igboeze North local government area Enugu State.
(34) Construction of Umuokere-Igugu Agu Mgbugbo- Ugbene- Umundu road phase 1, Udenu local government area Enugu State.
(35) Construction and installation of Astroturf and Tracks, floodlighting and associated works at Nsukka Stadium, phase II, Nsukka local government area Enugu State.
(36) Reconstruction of Awkunanaw street Etudo-Achara layout, Enugu South local government area Enugu State
(37) Construction of Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital Igbo-Eno
(38) Construction of 1 nos 120 Bedroom Hostel A at the College of medicine, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital Igbo-Eno campus, Enugu State.
(39) Construction of 1 nos 120 Bedroom Hostel B at College of medicine, Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital Igbo-Eno campus Enugu State.
(40) Rehabilitation of section of Obollo Afor Junction- Enugu Ezike road, CHO+000-CHI+634, Udenu local government area, Enugu State.
(41) Equipping and compound flooring of ifemelumma Health Center, Obodoakpu, Agbogugu, Awgu North State constituency, equipping of Health Center at Isiama Mbu Amon: Upgrading of Health Center at Nkwo Ugbaike, Igboeze North local government area, all in Enugu State
(42) Construction of Tennis Lawn at Ogrute, Enugu Ezike, Igboeze North local government area, Enugu State.
(43) Supply and Installation of 100 units of 200 litres Eagle Solar powered Refrigerators and Freezers to various Health Centres in Enugu State.
(44) Production of two hundred (200) units of Ultra-Modern automated hand washing machine and hand sanitizer by the Institute Of Management And Technology (IMT) Enugu.
(45) Construction of two (2) Boreholes in Ndi-agu Uwani autonomous community, Enugu State.
(46) Financial Assistance to the Faculty of Law, University of Nigeria, to upgrade their moot court with the following:
(i) installation of
10KVA inverter with batteries
(ii) Ceiling works
(iii) New partitioning of Judge’s office, secretary’s office and cloak rooms for male and female.
(iv) Replacement of gallery chairs
(v) Furnishing of offices
(47) Reconstruction of Iwolo police station, Ezeagu burnt down by hoodlums.
(48) Medium Voltage Distribution of electricity at Owerre Okpu, Amadim,Ujobo Umunta/Umunkpume and Anyazume Orba,Udenu local government area Enugu State.
(49) Extension of Electricity to Umuokpara and Amalla Orba, Udenu local government area Enugu State.
(50) Construction of thirty two (32) Bus Shelters ( Dec 2020 batch) in Enugu metropolis .
(51) Construction of twenty Three (23) Bus Shelters ( January 2021 batch) in Enugu metropolis.
(52) Construction of Administrative complex at the Enugu State House Of Assembly, Independence layout, Enugu North local government area Enugu State.
(53) procurement of 2 nos Dengfeng (DFL1120B KD2E 010 0221) Diesel Engine, two seaters water tankers ( Water Tenders) 10,000 litres capacity water tanker for the Enugu State Fire Service.
(54) Development of Warrant and vote Book modules integrated with existing state financial management information system.
(55) Establishment of Training school at the Enugu State Internal Revenue Service Headquarters, Enugu.
(56) Cottage Hospitals with Isolation wings at various stages of completion in Awgu,Enugu Ezike, Udenu and Oji River local government areas of Enugu State.
(57) 9th Mile Crash water programme.
(58) Completion of the construction of the Court Appeal, GRA, Enugu.
Dr. Ugwunta strongly believe that the performance of the recurrent revenue is encouraging and hoped that the remaining part of 2021 will definitely throw up more positive results.
While on the Expenditure, he submitted; “the performance of recurrent stood at 19.15% resulting in in a total expenditure performance of 47.52% against the Midyear budget”
The commissioner went ahead to state that the ” 2021 Midyear performance arrived at, is by the availability of funds to execute programmes and projects,” “As we expect to have more funds in the later part of the year, during which more capital projects will be embarked upon especially with exit of the rains within the remaining months of the year 2021. This will surely enable us to achieve our implementation target of 85% budget execution in 2021.” He stated.