A onetime former President of the Philippines, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo once said that, “the power of one, if fearless and focused, is formidable, but the power of many working together is better”. Never has the department of implementation and monitoring domiciled under the Ministry of Budget and Planning been active and effective like it is under the administration of His Excellency,Rt. Hon. Dr. Ifeanyi Lawrence Ugwuanyi.
Like some units in various Ministries, Departments and Agencies which became dormant if not moribund; the Department of Implementation and Monitoring was revived upon inception of the Hon. Commissioner for Budget and Planning, David O. Ugwunta, Ph.D., AIF, HCIB with the unswerving support of the priority project-driven Governor, Rt. Hon. Dr. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. The Team led by the Hon. Commissioner for Budget and Planning, David Ugwunta consists of: Hon. Commissioner of Finance, Dr. Ada-Onah Uyanwune, Senior Special Adviser to the Governor on Financial Matters, Prof. Pascal Okorie and Technical Staff on secondment from relevant MDAs.
Implementation and Monitoring Department is saddled with the responsibility to inspect, monitor and evaluate project implementation of MDAs before certifying payment. Aside from the regular project sites visits/ monitoring; this Team has accomplished the following:
- Ensured quality control of materials used in all projects.
- Checkmate use of Government funds.
- Bridged the gap between the award MDA’s and the contractors.
- Awakened the consciousness of the contractors.
- Increased the level of sensitivity on the part of the award MDA’s.
- Enhanced the designs produced by award MDA’s.
- Ensured effective delivery of project as specified in construction documents.
- Valuated expertise / competence of contractors.
- Provided solution where necessary by the team of professionals to salvage unprecedented situation.
This Team has worked assiduously towards the effective, prompt successful commencement and delivery of every project done by the State Government under this administration.